Producing a Dangerous Drug
The word “produce” is given a very wide meaning in Queensland’s drug law. It means:
- prepare, manufacture, cultivate, package or produce, and
- offering to do any of the above, and
- doing anything in preparation for the above, and
- doing anything in furtherance, or for the purpose of the above, and
- offering to do anything in preparation, furtherance, or for the purpose of the above.
To prove any offence the prosecution must persuade a jury beyond reasonable doubt. At a minimum the prosecution in a production case would need to establish that something was done to prepare for the manufacture of a dangerous drug.
The maximum sentence for the production offence can be up to 25 years imprisonment, depending on the drug and the amount produced.